Excellence in Education Awards
The Kansas City Charter Schools Excellence in Education Awards celebrates the work of Kansas City's most impactful charter public school educators. The Missouri Charter Public School Association (MCPSA) has partnered with SchoolSmartKC and KCPS to provide teachers and leaders with well-deserved recognition and a monetary award raising awareness around the importance of high-quality education to the Kansas City region.
To recognize excellent practices in education;
To encourage teacher retention and build enthusiasm for careers in education;
To increase awareness of recognition of Charter Public Schools.
Charter School Leader of the Year ($10,000)
Kansas City charter public school lead administrators (Executive Director, Superintendent, Principal). Award dollars are provided to the individual, not the school.
Charter School Staff Member of the Year ($10,000)
Kansas City charter public school administrative staff or team member (Development Director, Chief Financial Officer, Business Manager, Social Worker, Counselor, etc.). Award dollars are provided to the individual, not the school.
Charter School Middle/High School Teacher of the Year ($10,000)
Kansas City charter public school teachers providing instruction in grades 6 through 12. Award dollars are provided to the individual, not the school.
Charter School Elementary Teacher of the Year ($10,000)
Kansas City charter public school teachers providing instruction in grades PreK through 5. Award dollars are provided to the individual, not the school.
Charter School Innovative Team of the Year ($5,000 – 2 awards granted)
Teams working in Kansas City charter public schools designing, implementing and demonstrating the success of an innovative practice. Award dollars are provided to the school who has the discretion on how money is used.
Nominations close on 3/19
- TBD when finalists will be notified.
- All nominations must work at a school which is a current member of the Missouri Charter Public School Association.
- An individual or team winning the award cannot be nominated for the award again for 2 full academic years. E.g.: 2020 winners cannot be nominated again until 2023.
- The individual winners must have plans to remain working in their charter school during and after their year of recognition.
- The individual winner must be willing to serve on a Missouri Charter School Excellence in Education Awards Advisory Committee during their award year.
- Winners must be willing to
- Present at the Missouri Charter Schools Conference the year following their win.
- Serve as an advocate for students and charter public schools
- Use his/her voice to help shape education policy at the local and state level.
- Work with local and state policymakers, business and community leaders, and others who shape public opinion to promote accurate perceptions of the realities of charter public schools.
- Individual award winners are subject to taxation and must provide MCPSA with a W9. They will be issued an Internal Revenue Service 1099 for tax purposes.
- Prize money received for the team awards must be used for the charter school.
- Nominees must have been employed at the school in the current role for a minimum of 2 years.
- All finalists must score a 75% or higher on the review rubric to be considered for an award.
- All nominations must be submitted by another Missouri charter school personnel.
Blind judging of all nominations will be conducted by a selection panel comprised of:
- MCPCA Board Members
- Local University School of Education faculty
- Local community members
- Local non-profit business leaders
- Retired charter superintendents
- Prior awardees